San Francisco finds itself in a strange situation heading into the 2022 NFL Draft. While they don’t have a ton of holes in the roster, the 49ers don’t have a pick until No. 61 overall, and the Jimmy Garoppolo’s impending situation makes the team’s quarterback prospects for next year uncertain, whether they look to Trey Lance or not.
Kyle Shanahan is far from the worst situation at the helm, but the Niners have other issues to deal with as well. Pending contract extensions for Deebo Samuel and Nick Bosa have delayed the team’s offseason plans, and their need for depth at the pass rusher has become increasingly evident over time.
While it’s mostly point filler, the 49ers don’t have a lot of ways to do it in this draft. That may make life harder than it should be for general manager John Lynch, barring some ambitious trades in a 2022 NFL Draft that’s sure to be busy with a flurry of trade moves.
Here’s a look at the 49ers’ picks in the 2022 NFL Draft:
49ers 2022 draft pick: Who took San Francisco?
- Round 2, pick 61: —
- Round 3, Pick No. 93: —
- Round 3, pick 105: —
- Round 4, Pick No. 134: —
- Round 5, Pick No. 172: —
- Round 6, Pick No. 187 (from Denver) –
- Round 6, Pick #220 (Compensatory): —
- Round 6, Pick #221 (Compensatory): —
- Round 7, Pick No. 262 (compensatory): —
2022 NFL 49ers Draft Order
|3^||105 (Resolution JC-2A of 2020)|
|6||187 (from Denver)|
|6*||220 (Compensatory choice)|
|6*||221 (Compensatory choice)|
|7*||262 (Compensatory choice)|
49ers NFL Draft Needs
- Defensive end: Even with Nick Bosa, the 49ers need depth in their passing rotation. They’ve been proficient at drafting pass rushers in the past, and with Arden Key signing to Jacksonville this offseason, the 49ers don’t have the options they’d rather have. It’s important to get more talent and regroup heading into next year, especially in an NFC that has top-notch quarterback talent that the Niners will have to go through.
- Cornerback: Emmanuel Moseley and Ambry Thomas provide a decent tandem on the outside, but the 49ers are desperate for help late in the secondary rotation. In a league where you need at least three solid corners, that’s one of the 49ers’ most pressing needs this offseason. Even with the signing of Charvarius Ward, depth will be important against 13-heavy teams like the Rams.
IYER: Top 10 pass rushers available in the NFL Draft
2022 San Francisco 49ers Draft Simulation
Here are the latest 2022 NFL Draft projections for the 49ers, according to Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|3||93||Cam Taylor Britt||BC||Nebraska|
|6||187||Daniel Bellinger||AND||San Diego State|